First Forward Success Program helps shape futures every step of the way. Just for first-generation students, First Forward Success Program empowers them to design a future beyond their wildest dreams.
We know that first-generation students often:
- Feel unable to function in college
- Many first-generation students can’t see themselves in academia.
- Feel isolated
- No one in their family has the knowledge or experience to guide them through the college culture or process.
- Feel like a fraud
- Struggle with “imposter syndrome”, and feel that they don’t belong in the college setting.
Many Boise State faculty and staff were first-generation students themselves, and know first-hand what it’s like.
Faculty and Staff, you can help in two ways:
- Refer a first-generation student you know who’s struggling.
- Mentor a first-generation student. The personal connection you make will have a lasting impact.
- To mentor a first-generation student, contact Amy Nelson at firstname.lastname@example.org.